TO: HFS Parents
FROM: Paul Swett
DATE: September, 2011
SUBJ: Holy Family School Advisory Board
The purpose of this memo is to explain the role of the School Board at Holy Family. As stated in the guidelines for parish school boards,” the parish school board serves with the principal for the good of the school community. Today’s Catholic school principal, with the many demands that are made, needs assistance from a group of people who are committed to the Catholic school and are willing to work for the good of the school and the parish.” The principal and school board answer to the pastor who is responsible to the Bishop for the administration of the total parish, including the parish school.
Purposes and Functions-
The board is established to assist the pastor and principal in the governance of the parish school. The board is consultative in the following sense: the members cannot act apart from the pastor and the principal and cannot make binding decisions for the parish school without the approval of the pastor and principal.
Consultation also means that decisions will not be made in major matters until and unless the school board has been consulted. The areas in which the board has responsibility and will be consulted include:
- Planning/establishing a mission statement, goals and a strategic plan.
- Policy development and formulation- giving general direction for administrative action.
- Financing school budget including developing the annual budget, setting tuition and negotiating subsidy.
- Public relations, marketing, and school development.
- Evaluation of the principal’s relationship with the board. It is not the function of the board to evaluate the administrator, individual staff members or students.
The board shall consist of the pastor, the principal, the president of the HFPSA and five or 6 other qualified persons. The current board members are:
Father Hickey- Pastor
Mr. Swett- Principal
Mrs. McLean- Anderson
Anne Marie Kennedy- School Business Manager
Joe Guglielmo- Parent
Ed Hubbard- Parent
Tricia King- Former Parent
Bob Coughlin- Parishioner
The appointments to the school board are made by the pastor and principal and the term of appointment is 3 years. Members will meet the following criteria:
- Interest in and commitment to Catholic education and to this school’s philosophy and mission.
- Availability to attend meetings and participate in committee work.
- Maintain high levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Deal with situations as they relate to the good of the school community.
- Have specific knowledge or talents which will enhance the completion of the goals of the School Board.
The school board meets 4 times a year. Special board meetings can be called by the pastor and principal as needed. The agenda will be sent out ahead of time and members can submit items for consideration.